On 31 December the North East was placed in Tier 4 restrictions by the government, along with most of England. DCMS and Sport England have released guidance on how sport and physical activity is impacted under Tier 4, which is online here. For Jarrow and Hebburn AC, the new restrictions mean that:
- Senior training sessions are suspended until further notice.
- Junior (under 18) training sessions can only take place outdoors under supervision of a coach. This is at individual coaches’ discretion.
- Members can only exercise outdoors in public with people from their household or with one person from another household.
- Indoor and outdoor competitions cannot take place. Upcoming races and competitions will presumably be cancelled or rearranged.
- Leisure centres must close. South Tyneside Council have confirmed that Monkton Stadium will close whilst the area remains in Tier 4.
- One-to-one coaching can take place in person but coaches may provide training plans and support remotely instead.
The announcement of Tier 4 restrictions is immensely disappointing to everyone at the Club, but we encourage our members to follow the guidance, in the hope that local infection rates fall and restrictions can be eased as soon as possible.
Please note that the club is also currently unable to admit new members. Membership renewals will take place in April 2021 and we hope to be able to accept new members at that point.